The late-Staufian castle of the Archbishops and prince-electors of Mainz was built around the year 1245 in order to protect the area of the Lahn mouth. The rectangular core castle is surrounded by four building wings and a shield wall with turrets. The pentagonal keep is 29 meters high, on the North side rises the great hall. The castle chapel is dedicated to Saint Ulrich.
In the Thirty Years’ War, Burg Lahneck fell victim to destructions by the Swedish armies and suffered more devastation from the French in 1689. The sight of the ruin inspired Goethe to compose his "Geistesgruß" (Ghost Greetings) in the year 1774.
Between 1852 and 1937, Burg Lahneck was re-erected in the English Gothic style and has been privately owned since 1850.
The restaurant is temporarily closed.
Numerous myths relate to the castle:
The Knights Templar used it as a retreat after their condemnation in the 12th century. The last twelve Templars fled to the castle, vowing that none of them would ever leave it alive – they are said to have been killed after a valiant fight.
Just as famous is the story of the Scottish damsel Idilia Dubb, who travelled the Rhine valley with her family in 1851 and is said to have met a tragic death by starvation in the tower.
1st April – 1st November, daily 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Visits with guided tour in English language on request featuring antique furniture, weapons, armors, a doll house and much more
The Frankish royal court Salhof was first mentioned in a document in the year 977. The oldest parts of the present building date from the years 1150 to 1170. In the year 1686, the Salhof was extended and redesigned in a baroque fashion by Johann Freiherr vom und zum Stein. Today, the building, which was renovated in 1969, serves as a grand reception hall and accommodates rooms of the municipal administration.
The Rhenish half-timbered building with its Gothic hall on the ground floor dates from the 15th century. Once, it accommodated the market hall and the court arcade. Particularly striking is the baroque ridge turret with the old fire bell. Inside the building, remains of the medieval paintings and the baroque stucco ceiling have been preserved. The paintings in the hall show the deposition of King Wenzel of Bohemia in Lahnstein in the year 1400.
The construction of the toll castle of the Archbishops and prince-electors of Mainz began in the year 1298. The 28 m high Gothic donjon also served as a corner bastion of the town fortifications. The north wing, the gate wall with parapet walk and the machicoulis date back to the 14th century, the south wing was built around 1498. The old defense wall is still visible on the outside of the south wing.
The castle church was the first evangelical church in Lahnstein and is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew. Today, the castle is owned privately and accommodates, among others, the CCO Carnival Museum.
Around 1700, the town wall lodge was built in the Hintermauergasse. Today, it is a branch of the town museum. The rooms extend into the arched alcoves of the town wall. Once it served as lodging for the night watchmen, later it became a dwelling house. Around 1900, a couple with eight children was living in the town wall lodge.
The construction of the toll tower of the prince-electors of Trier, a medieval solid building with rounded narrow front, was begun in the year 1348. The tavern itself dates back to the year 1697. It also became famously infamous through the song "Die Wirtin an der Lahn" (the hostess on the Lahn) whose origins date back to the 17th century. Today, about 750 stanzas are known and more are added constantly.
On the 18th July 1774, Goethe interrupted his Lahn tour and left the boat to have lunch with Lavater and Basedow here - and to add another stanza.
In June 1890, the foundation stone of the largest industrial facility of Niederlahnstein was laid, the Stettiner Chamotte-Fabrik Actien-Gesellschaft, formerly Didier. The company was, in addition to the facilities Stettin und Gleiwitz, looking for a further industrial location in Western Germany; thus, the plant was erected between Rhine and railway tracks on an area of 200 m in length and 33 m in width.
After extensive renovation and extension works on the 19th century chamotte castle which is located directly by the Rhine, it was turned into a gastronomic experience of especially cozy character in 1995.
The hydropower plant in district Friedrichssegen, a plastered building with brick outlining, is one of the oldest in Germany and was built in the year 1906. The renovations and extensions carried out in the years 1915 and 1937 increased the plant's efficiency by 30%. The three-phase generators from 1906 and the turbines from 1937 are still in operation today.
Süwag Grüne Energien und Wasser AG & Co. KG
+49 (0)800 4747488