Churches & Chapels in Lahnstein

Catholic Church St. Martin

The oldest parts of the church are the late Romanic choir flanking towers built around 1190 that belonged to a former basilica. The Gothic choir with two cross vaults was built in 1332, the baroque central nave in hall style between 1775 and 1777. The side aisles with the side choirs were added between 1895 and 1899. In spite of the numerous architectural styles, the church room forms a harmonious entity and accommodates i.a. a valuable organ of the brothers Stumm from the year 1742. Both belfries have representative peals of bells with a total weight of 13.6 tons.

opening hours:

daily from 08:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.

Evangelical Church Oberlahnstein

The church was built in the years 1872-1875. Especially the windows from the 1960’s that show biblical scenes are worth a visit. The story of the Good Samaritan is depicted as an accident scene with motorcyclists.

opening hours:

please make an appointment with the evangelical parish office, phone +49 (0)2621 2236

Hospital Chapel

The chapel was erected around the year 1330 and initially served as an accommodation for pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela with the attached hospital. Over time, it lost its religious character. The renovation works in the years 1981-1985 also brought about the significant discovery of a medieval pilgrim’s tomb that also contained two scallop shells. It is only the forth pilgrim’s tomb that has been discovered in Germany so far. Today, the chapel is used for concerts, lectures, readings, weddings and exhibitions.

Johanniskirche - St. John's Church

The Romanic, transeptless pillar basilica with side aisle galleries and six-storey western tower was built around the year 1130 and is thus the oldest gallery church along the middle Rhine. Under the present church lie the foundations of a previous church in the Carolingian style from before 850. After ravages and destructions, the church was re-erected in the years 1856-1857. Today, church and monastery are in the hands of the padres of the confraternity of the Holiest Heart of Jesus and Mary. An secondary school is attached.

opening hours:

daily from 10:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.

Chapel Allerheiligenberg

In 1671, the Frühmesser (early masser) Johann Philipp Trabach built a chapel and hermitage on the Allerheiligenberg, a widely visible hill of 120 m height above the mouth of the Lahn. After the war of 1870/1871, Parson Wolf and his parish council decided to build a new impressive chapel in commemoration of the fallen soldiers. The late neo-Gothic hall building was erected between 1895 and 1901 by Max Meckel from Freiburg. Between 1987 and 1989, the outdoor premises with the crucifixion group and the grotto beneath with the holy grave were renovated. Furthermore, you will enjoy a gorgeous view into the Rhine and Lahn valley!

opening hours:

daily from 10:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.

Your contact

Interested in Lahnstein and its sights? For requests and information, please contact the

Tourist Information Lahnstein

+49 (0)2621 914-171

+49 (0)2621 914-129

touristinformation(at)lahnstein.de